Pages

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Texas Book Festival-Day One

After an awesome concert Friday night and a brief stopover in Brenham, we made our way to Austin.  I must first tell you...I don't like crowds.  I avoid nightclubs and the such because the crowds make me nervous.  So, you may be asking yourself, why on earth do you attend concerts?!?!  Well, I deal with them the best I can in that situation because I love music!  Anyway, the reason I tell you this is beacuse I am always a little nervous when I go to something for the first time because I don't know what to expect as far as crowds go.  Fortunately, the crowds were at a comfortable level and off I went! 

I started my day with Laurie Halse Anderson.  She is such an interesting person, I always enjoy listening to her speak.  She shared some interesting facts about herself, including the fact that if she were a teenager today, she would be the teenager with tattoos and piercings from head to toe!!!  She did not enjoy school, but she does contribute her attending school to one teacher that spoke to her and looked her in the eyes everyday that helped her get through the years.  She spoke about several of her books, including the anger she felt when Speak brought controversy in Missouri and thanked all of her fans for all the support she received.  She spent most of the time speaking about her new book, Forge.  She does love history and stated that she feels that it is so important to teach history, including the true stories of slavery, to our children.  She was excellent, as usual!

I then headed over to the the signing tent to have Laurie sign a couple of books and then moved on to the children's signing tent to meet Meg Cabot.  Although I was unable to sit in on her session, she signed our books and took pictures with us. 

From there, lunch and then off to the Paramount Theater to hear Jeff Lindsay.  Jeff was probably my favorite author session.  He came in in shorts, tennis shoes and a button down shirt...typical Florida!!  LOL  He was funny and charming and answered all questions honestly and with that dry humor I love so much about him.  He did say that he is working on his 6th Dexter book.  When asked how much of him is in Dexter, he stated that he feels like there is a little bit of him in all his characters.  He did say that he had felt like an outsider all his life and can relate to Dexter's character in that aspect.  I must admit that I found the Dexter Showtime series before I found the Dexter books.  Jeff did say that he was very thankful for the series, but was not all that impressed with the series so far this season as it had become a little too melodramatic.  For those that have not read the books, the first book follows pretty close to the series, but the series goes a different direction soon after that.  The books are intense yet charming and you can't help but picture Michael C Hall as you read the books.  Jeff did report that he felt that Hall was the perfect choice for the series.

All in all it was a good day.  If you have ever been to a festival like this, you know that it is nearly impossible to fit in all the sessions and signings that you would like to, so I spent more time in the signing tent than I did in sessions. 

Want to know how the session with Alton Brown went?  Tune in...it is coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment